Sunday, January 16, 2011

What's for Dinner?

Two weeks down already in the new year! I hate to say such a cliché thing, but..."time flies...and, I can't believe it." In all honestly, living in a world of 92% routine is a scary thing. Days, then weeks, then months, then years are in the past. I always feel a little guilty when I'm complaining about a slow day, because then, when the month is over I say, "Man, I wish time would slow down."

Back to dinner; food has been a very large part of my 2011. I feel like I have been to the grocery store more in two weeks than I have in the past 5 months! In my last blog, I wrote about our decision to go organic. Well, along with that decision has come new recipes, new budget, new pantry and fridge. Luckily I get off work at 5pm and my husband is not a picky eater. AND, most of all, thank God for google!

Over the past two weeks, I have been cooking organic lunches and dinners, face masks and juicing multiple times a day. The goal is for 51+% of each meal to be raw...let me just clarify that this is incredibly difficult and rarely happens. This is, however, the reason for so many trips to the grocery. We try to have a salad with every dinner and sometimes have totally raw dinners, but Luis does not always appreciate those options...

The greatest thing about our new menu has been discovering new flavors, cooking with color and feeling physically and mentally really great about our choices.
Some of the new recipes include:
Couscous and vegetable stuffed peppers
Vegetable curry

Fish Tacos

Salmon and vegetables

Tofu Stir-fry
Mock Chicken salad sandwiches made with garbanzo beans
Spaghetti with vegetables
Eggplant lasagna

And the list goes on...

Now, if you're wondering about the face mask I mentioned, this is a concoction of diced tomatoes, lemon juice and oats.

When I first used this mask, I wondered if Luis was questioning his decision to marry me! :) HA!

And finally, juicing. Juicing is a large portion of the Gerson diet. Gerson recommends juicing 12 times a day. Yes, this is impossible unless you devote your day to it because you cannot make a bunch on juice and drink it over the coarse of the day. It has to be drank right away otherwise the enzymes are gone and therefore, the entire health benefit is lost. We try to juice twice a day - although this, as you can imagine, is expensive so once a day is my goal.

It's really very surprising what tastes good when juiced together. Luis and I have experimented with different cocktails of apples, oranges, carrots, yams, pineapples, cucumbers, etc. We have not gone down the tomato juice path just yet; we will though.

So that is the status quo of the Polo household.

No comments:

Post a Comment