Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Kitchen smells more like Indian than Asha's

Hello. Happy Saturday...if you haven't been outside, you should check it out - it feels like spring! Just close your eyes so you don't have to see that ugly melting snow. Ya know, I appreciate the warm up in temperature, however, I am fairly annoyed with every other weekend having a mud pit in my back yard, which, in return means muddy dog feet multiple times a day. Come on weather, make up your mind. I'm thinking of "Just say a simple, 'Yes, I will,' or 'No, I won't.' Anything beyond this is from the evil one." (Matthew 5:37)... Bad parallel? I'm just sayin, be winter or warm up for good! Let's make up our minds here.

So it is the last weekend in January and I get paid on Monday...until then things are tight (in the budget area, if you know what I mean). I seriously have never seen my fridge so empty - this is not an exaggeration by any means. In hopes of avoiding the grocery at all costs, I dug through the ingredients I had, trying to find a way to be thrifty. Onions and red potatoes...canned tomatoes, spices...water... I knew there had to be some sort of soup out there I could make (and hopefully double in order to keep us fed for the remainder of the weekend).

...SCORE...Curry Tomato Soup!

INGREDIENTS:
(this is the original list, I doubled the majority of ingredients)
1 package firm tofu (optional)
5 potatoes
1 onion
2 carrots
1 can diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp butter
recipe calls for green beans (this I did not have...they were not missed)
5 white mushrooms (this I also did not have...I'm sure they would have been delicious)

In a large pot, melt butter on low-medium heat. Add chopped onion, curry, paprika and garlic - saute for ~2 minutes. Add potatoes and stir to coat. Add 2 cups of water (or enough to cover potatoes). Cook ~5 minutes.
Add carrots, tomatoes, and any other veggies - cook till potatoes are soft. Add water if soup is too thick.
Finally, add tofu and cook for additional 5 minutes. Serve with rice or bread. YUM!
Original recipe c/o Grouprecipes.com.

After dinner Luis and I left the house for a while. Upon returning, it still smelled like Indian food. Luis said "Our house smells more like Indian than Asha's!"

No comments:

Post a Comment