Saturday, February 12, 2011

More Vino Por Favor

One of Luis and my hobbies include drinking wine. (What a great hobby, right?!)
Seriously though, it has come to be one of the things we really like to do together. And I don't mean drinking wine as in a drunken wine fest but rather a conversation.

I have enjoyed wine ever since I can remember. This probably sounds awful, but I remember getting the wine at catholic mass and thinking "Mmmm, that's tasty." In college, it wasn't all that appealing to the majority of my friends, but after college it started to become the drink of choice.

Luis was never a fan. I couldn't even get him to take a sip of wine until one day we decided to check out this wine bar near our apartment in West Chester; there was a $5 wine tasting that day. I think he was more-less entertaining me in his decision to go but none-the-less we had a blast.

This is where he met smoked Gouda; the wine pairing that changed his ways.
If you aren't familiar, smoked Gouda is a cheese that tastes like bacon. Seriously.
We sat through 5 different types of red wine accompanied by this meat flavored cheese; I finally found the way to his heart...bacon.

It was great though, he was enjoying the different wines, we were feeling so prestigious in our "deep" conversations of each of the wines and the different tastes, noses, legs, etc.(a little wine lingo for you).

For Christmas I received a wine journal. It gives you all these tips on smelling, tasting, describing wine and in the back there are pages for you to jot down your description of different wines.

Luis and I seem to be regulars at this little wine and beer shop up the street where we like to go and get different wines and beers and "rate" them. AND, the great thing about this is there is no right or wrong answer! :) It is one of our favorite things to do.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Now if we can just find bacon flavored wine. My head might explode though.

    ReplyDelete