Saturday, November 19, 2011

5 Weeks

When we first found out we were pregnant, baby Iris was only 5 weeks along...Now we have 5 weeks to go till she [is supposed] to arrive! It's hard to believe that in that short amount of time, a life has been formed inside of me. A brand new life that is part Luis and part me. What a miracle!

Over the course of the last 30 weeks, we have begun and continued the preparation process of adding a new person to our family. This has included purchases, large and small, conversations about how and what we will do if Iris does_______[fill in the blank], talking to the dogs about how they will no longer be the numero uno babies, birthing & CPR & baby care basics & breastfeeding classes, lots of doctors appointments, cleaning, baby showers, a change in diet, and all the hormonal and emotional changes that a mom and dad-to-be go through. And so now what do we do with the last 5 weeks??? It's hard for me to understand what it is I'm actually preparing for - actually I think it's impossible, for anyone to ever understand what they're preparing for when the 1st baby is on its way. I feel excitement, anxiousness for labor and delivery, curiosity around how this will all "go down" especially with the timing and Luis' work schedule and family being in town for the holidays. So many unknowns that I can't control are attempting to drive me crazy - I know God has His plan which is the best plan; I will focus on letting go of control and letting baby Iris arrive in whatever way God desires.

Yesterday was a very exciting day at the doctors office. I was "checked" for the first time and yep, her head is down. She is preparing for her arrival which is so exciting! I'm not dilated (which is good because we want Iris to stay in the oven for a few more weeks at least), but the doc did say that means "she should fit through!" Ha - that sounds pretty funny but is great news. It is so bizarre to know and be able to feel the different parts of her body - it is the most real and unreal experience I've ever had.

We can't wait to meet this new person and show her off and teach her and learn from her. Iris Papyrus (as her Daddy calls her) is going to change our world in just 5 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment