Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Only a Tonsillectomy

Luis and I have known about his Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy for over a month now, but come Sunday night, I was overwhelmed with this feeling of "Holy shit, Luis is having surgery tomorrow. Yes, he is only getting his tonsils and adenoids out and doctors do this every day, right? But, he's going to be put out and he's 27 not 5!"

We were cuddled up in bed and he was being extra sweet (he's always sweet but he really had his charm on) and feelings of fear, worry and anxiety began to rise up inside all at once. I was calm, not to let Luis know the thoughts going through my mind, a mile a minute. I started to pray and tell God how much I needed Luis; I didn't know what I would do without him and I asked that He would let this surgery be quick and easy for everyone involved.

Monday morning arrives and we are to be at the doctor's office at 6AM for check-in. Luis and I roll out of our bed, get in the car and head out...both still in our pajamas. There were quite a few families there just as early and I couldn't help but wonder what each person was doing there.

After registration, Luis was taken to change and then his Mom and I were invited to sit with him until the doctor was ready. Luis was strapped up with an IV, hair net, hospital socks and the gown. We waited with him behind the curtain - I was rather squirmy being back there. I hate hospitals more than anything.

It was time for him to go, he pursed his lips and said "I Love You" with a big smile. He said the same to his Mom and then they took him away. We walked out to the waiting room. I begged God to take care of him.

In the waiting room I watched the people, some excited, some nervous, some angry, some old, some young. I knew Luis' surgery would only be about 20 minutes - nurses came to call patients and families every 30 seconds it seemed and so 20 minutes took forever.

Finally we can go see him. And all the fear is gone, he's fine - everything can go back to normal. As I re-think this today, I'm reminded to caution myself of the word/feeling "normality." I don't want to take things for granted. I don't want to be satisfied and completely relaxed in today. The time to be thankful is now.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. It's so amazing to see God working in your life Sarah. The Lord is so good and you are right that the time to be thankful is now.

    ReplyDelete